Recover passphrase for encrypted wallet - 500 BROs reward

• Hi,

I configured an ecrypted wallet over a vnc display, which had a wrong keyboard layout setup.
    I should have a rough idea of what the passphrase should be but can't get it right.

Are there any methods out there to recover a passphrase for an encrypted wallet?
    Tried brutforcing a bit as I should know most of the passphrase but it didnt't work out.

Bitcoin2john.py doesn't give me the right hash, just bails with an error...

Any recommendations welcome, I'll put out a reward of 500 Bro to the person helping me get back into my wallet.

Cheers,
    Chris

• I don't know about recovering a passphrase, sorry.
    But do you still have access to the same vnc display?
    Try to write you passphrease (the one you think it is) using that vnc display and check the outcome. You might get somethig there.
    Hopefully someone with more experience can help you out.

• Global Moderator

@kiwichrism said in Recover passphrase for encrypted wallet - 500 BROs reward:

Hi,

I configured an ecrypted wallet over a vnc display, which had a wrong keyboard layout setup.
    I should have a rough idea of what the passphrase should be but can't get it right.

Are there any methods out there to recover a passphrase for an encrypted wallet?
    Tried brutforcing a bit as I should know most of the passphrase but it didnt't work out.

Any recommendations welcome, I'll put out a reward of 500 Bro to the person helping me get back into my wallet.

Cheers,
    Chris

sorry I (we) cannot help you with this problem...use google, there are a lot of ideas but i don´t know wich is working

• @7onsti07 said in Recover passphrase for encrypted wallet - 500 BROs reward:

Hi,

Cheers,
    Chris

sorry I (we) cannot help you with this problem...use google, there are a lot of ideas but i don´t know wich is working

Hi,

just to make sure I'm heading the right direction.
    Where is actually the encryption password located?
    Is the bitrad.io wallet based on the bitcoin wallet, so I can google how to bruteforce that, it might bring more hits?

Any recommendations which search words I should try to get a matching search result for my problem?

I've bruteforced a bit more but without success, it's frustrating, I wanted to run a bitrad.io node, so locked up 2500 BROs :-(

Cheers,
    Chris

• Global Moderator

@7onsti07 said in Recover passphrase for encrypted wallet - 500 BROs reward:

Hi,

Cheers,
    Chris

Hi,

just to make sure I'm heading the right direction.
    Where is actually the encryption password located?
    Is the bitrad.io wallet based on the bitcoin wallet, so I can google how to bruteforce that, it might bring more hits?

Any recommendations which search words I should try to get a matching search result for my problem?

I've bruteforced a bit more but without success, it's frustrating, I wanted to run a bitrad.io node, so locked up 2500 BROs :-(

Cheers,
    Chris

yes the password is stored in the wallet.dat, and yes a lot is like the btc qt....

• Before making such experiments, you should save your private keys.... Some people pay for this insight teaching money. ;)
    I don't think the password is stored. ;) Then you could crack it easily.
    At most, a hash value of the password is stored, but I don't think even that's the case, so what for?
    That's why brute force is the only way to crack it. But I don't know if the tools that are available (for Bitcoin wallets) work here.

Looks like your connection to Bitrad.io was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.