Masternodes: private key for collateral required?

• I'm a happy BRO since the second crowd sale and decided to set up a masternode last weekend.

Everything is working fine and my node keeps receiving regular payments. However, to get the node to activate properly, I had to import the private key to the collateral wallet on the server.

Without the key, the node won't activate and just say "no suitable coins found".

Now my question: Does a masternode really need the private key for its collateral wallet? Isn't the whole idea of the controller/node structure that this is not required?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new to this whole masternode thingy.

• @cryptic_monk hi, I don't know the answer to your question.. but perhaps you could help me with my problem - it appears I have the same error message "Could not find suitable coins!" when I start my masternode on the server. How did you import the private key to the wallet on the server? I've added 'masternodeprivkey=' key with the appropriate value to Bitradio.conf on the server.. is there anything else I have to do in terms of private key?

• @cryptic_monk wow.. that's a really nice instruction, I will check how the private key part works for me..

• @wiewiorka sure. Essentially I did ./Bitradiod importprivkey <your key> on the server. But my write-up contains some remarks as to why this might not exactly be ideal. And how to avoid leaking your key to .bash_history.

• @cryptic_monk it worked for me! I no longer see "Could not find suitable coins!" message, and I see my node in the node list. It's interesting why other instructions didn't include the wallet private key export/import part. I understand that it's not secure but I'm also wondering how they managed to make it work.

Looks like your connection to Bitrad.io was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.